Getting steps in has become the new craze over the last ten years, with everyone wearing steps trackers and trying to get more steps in. This is not a bad thing because most people are unaware of their daily steps and studies show that people tend to believe they are getting in more steps than they actually are.
The big question is, how many steps should you be getting in a day? Many factors go into this, such as how active you are and where your weight stands. Believe it or not, bringing in more steps can actually help you to lose weight. Shocking right?
The first thing you should do is track your steps for a few days to figure out your average. You can do this with a step tracker like an Apple Watch or Fitbit. or you can purchase an inexpensive pedometer. If all else fails, you can get an app on your phone and track them that way. This is not the most accurate unless you have your phone on you all day long, but it will do the trick. After you have figured out what your average daily steps are, you can see where you fall on the list.
A Sedentary Lifestyle is less than 5,000 steps per day
Low active is 5,000 to 7,499 steps per day
Somewhat active is 7,500 to 9,999 steps per day
Active is more than 10,000 steps per day
Once you have figured out where you are on the list, you can determine if you need to increase your steps to be where you want to be. If you are looking to lose weight, the number of steps to take can vary depending on your current weight, food intake, and target weight. However, 10,000 steps are a good goal for most people.
A 2018 analysis Trusted Source of 363 people with obesity found that those who took 10,000 steps per day and spent at least 3,500 of those steps engaged in moderate-to-vigorous activity lasting for bouts of 10 minutes or longer experienced enhanced weight loss. (Medical News Today)
Having a goal of 10,000 steps is a great one, but if you find that your average is 3000 steps a day, you will need to set smaller goals and work up to them to succeed.
Once you have set your step goal, it is essential to push yourself to achieve it. There are many easy ways to get some extra steps in. Look at the list below to see 15 tips to help you achieve your goals.
15 ways to get in more steps
- Go for a walk while waiting to pick your child up from school, sports practice, piano lessons, etc.
- Walk-in place while brushing your teeth.
- Hide your remote, so you have to get up every time you want to change the channel.
- Keep your phone out of arms reach, so you have to get up to send a text or answer a call.
- March in place or pace around during a conference call or while chatting with a friend on the phone.
- Get a workout done in the morning when you are fresh and have energy.
- Go for a walk on your lunch break.
- Take the long way around to the bathroom.
- Walk-in place while doing the dishes.
- Park farther away from the grocery store to guarantee you get more steps.
- Instead of meeting a friend for coffee or a drink, meet them at the park for a walk and bring a refreshing green tea beverage.
- Join a fitness group that does step challenges and more.
- Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take your dog for a walk around the block.
- Challenge your partner to see who can get the most steps in one day.
There are many ways to guarantee more steps and help you live a healthier life. You can find some great step trackers out there without having to spend a ton of money.
Here are three great ones under $200.
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2
Here are three great ones under $100
Here are three great ones under $50
Whatever you choose will be highly beneficial to your health and fitness.
Author/ Weight Loss Coach
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”