As much as we love to get outside and camp and hike in the summertime. It is not always an option. Summer is full of heat and water play, but many hazards occur in the summer, such as fires and excessively high temperatures. When this happens, you need to head indoors and stay there.
That is ok because there are still many workouts you can do indoors to keep you healthy. Below you will find 3 great indoor workouts to do in the summer that you don’t need any equipment for.
Reach Under Planks
Planks are a great exercise that gives full-body benefits. This is great for core targeting.
- Assume a high plank position on your hands. Ensure your core is braced and your lower back doesn’t sag. Your neck and spine should be neutral.
- Lift your right hand off the ground and back toward your left thigh, tapping it with your fingers. Return to a plank.
- Repeat with your left hand, tapping your right thigh and returning to a plank.
This is one of the best workouts you can do as you are supporting your own body weight.
- Assume a high plank position with your arms extended.
- Engaging your core and keeping your spine and neck neutral, drive your right knee up toward your chest. Extend it and immediately drive your left knee up toward your chest.
- Repeat for 30 seconds, going as fast as you can.
This is a side-to-side movement. This is great cardio as well as leg and ankle strengthening.
- Start with your feet together and your arms bent at a 90-degree angle at your sides. Your knees should be soft.
- Keeping your feet together, jump to the right, taking off and landing on the balls of your feet.
- As soon as you reach the ground, jump back to the left.
Remember to stay safe in the summer and wear lots of sunscreens and drink plenty of water. Also, be sure to check your air quality before heading out to make sure you are not putting yourself in harm’s way. If the air is bad, stay inside and find stuff to do.
Author/Weight Loss Coach