Exercise is extremely important when maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Most people feel that diet is all they need to achieve the health and body they desire but this is not true. You have to include exercise in your weekly routine. Now, before you start thinking that you don’t like working out remember that there are many ways to get a workout in. If you haven’t found the one you like, you need to keep looking. Exercise can be fun and something you enjoy once you find the right one.
Outside exercise is something you can do all year long no matter where you live. From surfing to snowboarding, to soccer and swimming there are tons of different activities to choose from. However, before you venture out with your new workout, read these safety tips below.
- Set achievable goals for yourself. Realize that the heat and cold weather can have various effects on your body.
- Workout at the right time of day. During the summer choose the cooler mornings and evenings to avoid heatstroke and dehydration. In the winter choose daylight and above freezing temperatures to avoid frostbite and hazardous areas.
- Always have plenty of water with you, and drink it.
- Listen to your body and when you feel that it needs a break, then take a break.
- Consider working out with a buddy to help monitor each other and ward off the dangers of being alone.
- Wear the proper attire when working out. If you are running, make sure you have the right shoes and lightweight clothes. If you are snowboarding, make sure you have the right insulations and boots.
- Remember that the sun gives you a great amount of vitamin D but it is not always our friend. Remember to wear sunblock and proper eyewear.
- Always have a snack with you. This will help you avoid dips in your blood sugar and it’s always best to have a huge protein snack with you as well.
- Make sure to have a cell phone with you in case of an emergency. Even if you don’t have a cell phone plan you can always dial 911 from any charged cell phone.
- If you venture out alone be sure to let someone know where you are going and the route you plan to take. This is best in case something happened they would know where to look for you.
These are just a few tips to help you get going when you are exercising outdoors. The Mayo Clinic offers some great advice on winter safety when exercising outdoors. Check out this article for more information.
Author/Weight Loss Coach